Planning for the Care of Your Children
As a parent, you know your children are counting on you. Your estate plan must begin with ensuring your children would always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At Engelmeier & Umanah, P.A., one of our areas of greatest expertise is in planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without advance legal planning for the care of your children, if the unthinkable happens to you, your children could be facing one of these:
- Placement in the care of someone you would never want to raise your kids.
- Placement by a judge who does not know you or your family.
- Long, drawn-out custody fight.
- Loss of your assets to unnecessary fees through the probate process, a court process that ties up your assets for significant periods and deprives your kids of the resources they need to live comfortably.
- Exposure to unscrupulous people who exploit young people who have just inherited assets from a deceased parent.